I had intended to release The Secrets We Keep after a month or so of promotion, but after uploading the book on Smashwords, I just couldn’t allow it to sit there and not be read by someone other than Mindy (my amazing friend and editor who deserves endless accolades) and me. After all, some of you have been waiting 1,765 days since the release of NBTAM to get the second installment. (Yes, I am finding more and more uses for that date calculator. See previous post.)
When asked why I am offering the book for free, I have a few answers for that query:
- I write as a hobby, not a profession. Many authors quit their jobs to become writers. I am so taken by their stories. I offer the story of Bethany Turner and her books. Read her story, her books, and support someone who wants to turn writing into a sustainable career.
- Free entices more people. We will try anything for free. That is why so many people eat seaweed when Costco has it for a sample on Saturday afternoon.
- Consider it a gift to all my loyal NBTAM readers. After all, you waited a long time to find out what happens next in the life of the Seven Cs. I’m certain many of you suffered insomnia over it, right?
- 3. I would prefer a book review over any payment. Really, this is very important. Books climb out of the pit of obscurity when people review them. Please go to Smashwords and iBooks to give reviews. These retailers have the ebook up on their sites already. Also, you can review the book on Goodreads. Review the book by selecting the number of stars it deserves. That is all. 🙂
- Books need promotion to sell. I do not want to spend my time promoting a book: I want to spend my time writing the third one. Plus, if I used a pie chart as an illustration, you would see that only a small sliver of my life is devoted to writing. I’m a full-time homeschooling mom who serves as a director at Classical Conversations. That’s my job. (See #1 for more on that!)
Okay, that is all. I am going to work on book #3. I have made a promise to write a little every day, so I can continue delivering books to all of you.
Thank you for your support and encouragement.
9 thoughts on “The “Secret” is Out! (But Why is it Free?)”
Here’s a better link for Bethany Turner: http://www.seebethanywrite.com/
This is lovely of you! However, I only just discovered that you finished the book. Am I able to buy the book, if so, which site is for buying and not free downloads. I am soooooo happy you are writing again! Miss you! Yaaaay! Love you!
Lins, I’m only making the book available as a free ebook. I’m having fun learning to format and self-publish. A favorable book review is the best form of payment–especially by someone who is gifted with words. Miss you, buddy! 🙂
I just ordered a copy of your book, Kimberly. Looking forward to reading it. I’m slowly catching up on my reviews. Congratulations. I can’t wait to meet your characters again. Have a lovely weekend.
Wonderful, Beverly. I look forward to reading your book.:)
Thank you Kim! I have downloaded the book and started reading it when time allows. I’m enjoying it so far and will be sure to write a review when I’m done. I was going to share your offer of a free book on my facebook but wasn’t sure you wanted to offer it to everyone for free. I have a lot a readers in the family who would love to read and one is a former teacher like yourself! Talk to you soon.
Yes, please share the free download offers with whomever you like, Diana. I have it for free on many sites and am working on reducing the price on Amazon. Thank you in advance for the review. That means the world to me. I hope to see you soon!
I am so excited to read the new book. I have been waiting for it. I am teaching in Lakeville now, and I looking at adding your book to our reading list. As a side note, you released this book on my little man’s first birthday…I think that that is a good sign.
Hi, Erin! It’s great to hear you and happy belated birthday to your little guy. It would be great to catch up soon. Let me know what you think of the new book! 🙂